Food Poisoning Treatment Questions and Answers
Food poisoning can make you severely sick and feel uncomfortable. Don’t go through it alone, contact AFC Urgent Care Agoura Hills, CA. We are located at 5825 Kanan Road Unit B Agoura Hills, CA 91301.
We all enjoy a good meal: it is nutritious, delicious and provides our bodies with much-needed vitamins and energy. Food is a daily requirement, and one that is often viewed with much delight. However, food that has spoiled can also lead to an illness known as food poisoning. The consumption of contaminated comestibles can conjure cramps, qualms and questions about what we ate that could have made us feel so terrible. Fortunately, most forms of food poisoning are not dangerous, with symptoms that abate after a day or two. However, there are other times when food poisoning is cause for concern and should be treated at an urgent care.
What are the types of food poisoning?
Food poisoning is a foodborne illness. When the body processes food that contains a toxin, chemical, or pathogen (including viruses and bacteria), it can cause adverse symptoms within the body. There are hundreds of different pathogens that have been documented to cause food poisoning, including campylobacter, clostridium botulinum, E. coli, listeria, norovirus, rotavirus, salmonella, shigella, staphylococcus aureus, and vibrio vulnificus.
What are the symptoms of food poisoning?
Although food poisoning symptoms vary depending on what caused the illness, most types of food poisoning share similar signs and symptoms, including:
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Abdominal pain and cramps
Signs and symptoms may start within hours after eating the contaminated food, although sometimes they appear days or even weeks later, making the source of the food illness hard to determine. Sickness caused by food poisoning generally lasts from a few hours to several days, with symptoms that can range from mild and non-disruptive to severe and debilitating.
If the following signs or symptoms are caused by food poisoning, it is imperative to seek immediate medical attention:
- Frequent episodes of vomiting
- Inability to keep food or liquids down
- Bloody vomit or stools
- Diarrhea for more than three days
- Extreme pain or severe abdominal cramping
- An oral temperature higher than 100.4ºF
- Signs or symptoms of dehydration, including:
- excessive thirst
- dry mouth
- little or no urination
- severe weakness
- Neurological symptoms such as:
- blurry vision
- muscle weakness
- tingling in the arms
What causes food poisoning?
There are several causes of food poisoning
- Poultry — One of the most common sources of food poisoning is raw and undercooked poultry.
- Vegetables and Leafy Greens — Vegetables and leafy greens should be washed vigorously as they can often carry harmful bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella and Listeria
- Fish and Shellfish — Due to the presence of histamine and toxins, fish and shellfish are a common source of food poisoning.
- Rice — Due to Bacillus cereus, rice is a high-risk food.
- Meat — Certain meats including hot dogs, ham and salami can be contaminated with bacteria that cause food poisoning.
- Unpasteurized Dairy — Unpasteurized dairy has been associated with a high risk of food poisoning because it has not undergone the safety measure of pasteurization.
- Eggs — Raw and undercooked eggs can carry Salmonella bacteria, so it is always important to cook eggs completely.
- Fruit — Particularly melon and berries, fruits carry a high risk of food poisoning.
- Sprouts — Because sprouts grow in moist, warm conditions, they are an ideal environment for the growth of bacteria.
Can urgent care treat food poisoning?
Yes, urgent care can treat food poisoning. In fact, it is better to treat food poisoning at an urgent care clinic than it is at the ER, simply because in the vast majority of cases, food poisoning is not a life-threatening condition. Urgent cares can treat food poisoning in a quick and effective manner, with patients in and out before they would even see a doctor at the ER.
If you have symptoms of food poisoning, come to AFC Urgent Care in Agoura Hills, CA for treatment today. Please call us for more information or book an appointment online for food poisoning treatment or visit our clinic conveniently located at 5825 Kanan Road Unit B Agoura Hills, CA 91301. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Agoura Hills CA, Westlake Village CA, Calabasas CA, Thousand Oaks CA, Malibu CA, Santa Monica CA, and Moorpark CA.